By Coral Gables Gazette staff
At different points during discussion on a single item at the May 19 Coral Gables Commission meeting, there were accusations of sexual harassment, claims of crimes committed during last year’s election season, firsthand accounts of past Sunshine Law violations, and accusations that one commissioner had “lost his mind.”
All of the comments came from Gables commissioners, and most were directed at one another.
On the heels of another contentious meeting on May 5 when resident Maria Cruz was barred from further public comment after likening Mayor Vince Lago to a king despite repeated advice from City Attorney Cristina Suarez to issue a warning first, this week’s meeting began unraveling when Cruz’s reappointment to the Code Enforcement Board was pulled from the consent agenda for discussion.
Lago, who has a long and combative history with Cruz, launched into a presentation detailing what he described as past misconduct and behavior that made her unfit to continue serving on the quasi-judicial board. Cruz was proposed for reappointment by another Lago political rival, Commissioner Melissa Castro.
Mayor, vice mayor lay out case against board member
“I think she’s unfit to serve on the code enforcement board,” Lago said, arguing the position “requires fairness and impartial judgment.”
The mayor insisted the matter was not retaliation or reprisal, but rather a question of qualifications and temperament. He accused Cruz of “vindictive and targeted behavior” against residents who disagreed with her politically, citing a dispute involving orchids attached to a street tree at a residence connected to one of his supporters. Lago acknowledged that the residents involved in the orchid dispute had worked on his re-election campaign.
Lago claimed Cruz repeatedly pressured city staff to levy harsher penalties against the resident and displayed emails on the dais as evidence.
“The code enforcement board cannot become a platform for personal vendettas, political retaliation or harassment,” Lago said.
He then escalated matters further, claiming Cruz was “at the center of an investigation involving fraudulent signatures” connected to last year’s failed recall campaign against him, while also reviving decades-old allegations tied to her time working at Miami Beach Senior High School.
Vice Mayor Rhonda Anderson also referenced allegations involving campaign sign theft by Cruz, reading an email she sent to the proposed appointee after she had been seen taking Anderson’s signs from lawns – Anderson disputed Cruz’s explanation surrounding yard signs delivered during the election cycle, saying she personally hand-delivered signs only to residents who requested them.
Castro defends appointment, alleges retaliation and harassment
Castro forcefully defended Cruz’s reappointment, calling the effort to block her “exactly” the type of retaliation critics have accused the commission majority of carrying out.
“Today you’re going to retaliate against her a second time,” Castro said, referencing Cruz being silenced during the prior meeting.
The commissioner accused Lago of routinely targeting political opponents and residents who disagree with him.
“You do not have the right to silence them or to persecute them or to retaliate against them,” Castro said.
Later in the meeting, the discussion veered into deeply personal territory when Castro described an incident at a literacy festival in which she said Lago looked her up and down, mocked her pose, and laughed. “I think more than intimidation that’s more like sexual harassment,” Castro said.
“When you have a sitting mayor look at you from your legs all the way up and then mock you … try to intimidate me,” Castro said.
She then directly challenged Lago to deny the accusation.
“As a man, can you look at me in the face and say that did not happen?” Castro asked repeatedly, saying the incident had been photographed and videotaped.
Lago did not directly deny the allegation, instead responding: “This is the level of insanity that we’ve dealt with over the last three years.” He then urged Castro to vote and move on. “You’re an embarrassment to this city,” Castro shot back before casting her vote against rejecting Cruz’s appointment.
Fernandez revives old feuds, levels Sunshine Law allegation
Commissioner Ariel Fernandez also defended Cruz while reigniting his long-running political war with Lago.
Fernandez accused the mayor of threatening him and his family and claimed residents had warned him about Lago becoming “more aggressive every day.”
But the meeting reached another level when Fernandez appeared to accuse Lago of past Sunshine Law violations, describing alleged strategy sessions at Lago’s home years ago involving Cruz and political allies. Fernandez named Cruz and another individual as present during those sessions, and said Cruz was visible in the back of the chamber as he spoke — implying she could corroborate the account. Lago did not deny the sessions took place.
“We were in your house … and you would call your colleagues to make sure they were supporting your legislation,” Fernandez alleged. “You would put them on speaker phone and put the phone on the table and tell us don’t talk so they don’t know you’re on the phone.”
Lago immediately exploded in response.
“Ariel, you have lost your mind,” the mayor said repeatedly.
Fernandez continued firing back, accusing Lago of manipulating public perception and comparing the situation to “the wolf gnawing at your leg and pointing at the boy and saying it’s his fault.”
By the time the item finally concluded nearly an hour later, little had been resolved beyond further entrenching the commission’s increasingly toxic divisions.
For longtime residents accustomed to Coral Gables branding itself as “The City Beautiful,” the session offered another reminder that civility inside City Hall continues to erode — one meeting at a time.



This Post Has 7 Comments
I hereby, unless this comment is conveniently deleted, for the righteous writers of The Gazette to revisit the public threats of a lawsuit against me by Ariel Fernandez made at the January 15, 2025 whereby I was informed by Fernandez that he was suing me for objecting to his manipulated firing of City Manager Peter Iglesias and compounding it by hiring a totally inexperienced replacement bringing in chaos and confusion to this City at a whopping $385,000 year
Where were you Gazette??? Was it because it doesn’t play well with your objective to properly cover Coral Gables?
C’mon Gazette tell us here and now why you ignored it
The Gazette resumed publication in February 2025.
So is that’s your excuse? You were in hibernation or a deep slumber? Now you’re saying you never heard about this?
Look, if you want to be somewhat credible and unbiased and not controlled by Ariel Fdz then come out of the phone booth and put on a true journalistic disguise
Lastly are you okay with what happened ?
Of course since you were hatched a couple of weeks after January 15, 2025
Thanks, Mr Sanabria, for reminding me of one of many instances that the Mayor allowed his supporters to direct their comments directly to one of the Commissioners instead of, as the rules require, speaking to the “Commission as a whole.”
Thanks, again!
At the January 15 music concert at McBride Plaza, Mayor Lago threatened me by alleging he had a speech attacking me the next time I spoke at Public Comment during a Commission meeting. He then challenged me to run against him for mayor. No other elected official does this – particularly to a longtime resident (over 32 years) who raised his family, located his law firm and attends church in Coral Gables and is active in our community. Why is Lago so insecure about dissent? Dissent is the hallmark of democracy. Vice Mayor Anderson stated that she had friends who decided not to run for office because of lack of decorum and civility. If you vote with Lago, you will not be attacked with false ad hominin attacks by Lago, AESOP GABLES, Coral Gables Magazine or his anonymous trolls on social media with Lago liking the false attacks. Based on Anderson’s voting history, I do not know why she is worried. City Code Section 2-77 requires Commission meetings to comply with Robert’s Rules of Order. Section 2-78 requires the mayor to preserve decorum. Section 2-83 prohibits slanderous remarks. Robert’s Rules requires the mayor to “set an example of courtesy” and avoid “the appearance of being partisan.” The city attorney is the parliamentarian who issues binding rulings to maintain decorum and civility. Sadly, City Attorney Suarez remains silent. Each Commission meeting is a circus because of Lago’s insecurity and City Code violations. Lago has a majority bloc. Why is he so worried and what is he trying to hide?
The rising level of toxicity at each successive commission meeting is appalling. It’s embarrassing.
And it’s in direct opposition to the campaign promises made during the last election cycle. Words are easy, but putting those promises into practice has proven to be impossible for Lago.
Lago’s response to any “inconvenient” statement made by Commissioners Castro and Fernandez is to accuse them of insanity. He used the word insane, in every possible form, at least 20 times during the last commission meeting. Maybe some introspection on his part is needed.
We all know the right thing to do, the hard part is doing it.
I find quite sad that two midlife attorneys (Anderson & Lara) are so insecure and/or financially strapped that they feel compelled to support every one of the Mayor’s positions and retaliations.