Coral Gables embraces FIFA display while again delaying watch party vote

A rendering of the FIFA "Trionda" World Cup match ball sculpture installed on Giralda Plaza in downtown Coral Gables, showing the large colorful ball bearing the FIFA and adidas logos on a black pedestal, surrounded by brick pavers, palm trees, and the Giralda Avenue streetscape at golden hour.
A rendering of the “Trionda” FIFA World Cup match ball sculpture approved for Giralda Plaza by the Coral Gables Commission on May 19. The vote came during the same meeting in which commissioners again delayed a decision on Fritz & Franz Bierhaus’s request to host World Cup watch parties nearby. (Rendering courtesy of the City of Coral Gables)

By Coral Gables Gazette staff

At the same May 19 meeting where the Coral Gables Commission gladly accepted a gigantic FIFA World Cup soccer ball to be displayed on Giralda Avenue ahead of the month-long tournament, the commission still was not ready to grant permission to Fritz and Franz Bierhaus to host watch parties.

The commission again deferred approval until it said more assurances would be made that the impact of the watch parties, which have been held at the German restaurant for more than 24 years, would not disproportionately affect apartment residents who live near the restaurant.

The exterior of Fritz and Franz Bierhaus at the corner of Merrick Way in Coral Gables, showing the restaurant's outdoor plaza with white and red umbrellas, palm trees, and two flagpoles flying the American and another flag. The Mediterranean-style building behind the plaza is visible through the tree canopy.
Fritz & Franz Bierhaus has hosted World Cup watch parties for more than 24 years, but Coral Gables commissioners again delayed approval this week while seeking additional assurances that the events would not disproportionately affect nearby apartment residents.

With the June 11 opening match approaching, the commission found itself debating not only logistics and public safety, but also whether the city was negotiating in good faith with one of Coral Gables’ longest-running World Cup traditions.

Three separate plans have emerged — the original proposal presented earlier this month, a revised “Plan B” worked out with city staff, and a last-minute “Plan C” submitted the day before the meeting that expanded the number of requested watch party dates to include USA and Germany matches during the group stage.

Commissioners remained divided over how far the city should go in expanding the long-running watch parties into the adjacent plaza.

Mayor Vince Lago repeatedly stressed that his concerns were not about opposing the World Cup or Fritz and Franz itself, but about public safety and the strain the tournament could place on police and fire resources.

“I’m 100 percent in favor of doing things the right way,” Lago said, noting that Coral Gables police officers and firefighters will already be stretched thin because of agreements requiring support for World Cup-related events across Miami-Dade County.

Lago said he requested a sit-down meeting with the restaurant owner, Harald Neuweg, and was frustrated that it never occurred. “I’m not ready to vote on this today. If I vote on this today, my vote is a no,” Lago said. “I want to sit down with this gentleman and get certain commitments with the fire chief, with the police chief, with the manager.”

Amanda Quirke Hand, an attorney representing Fritz & Franz, offered a compromise in an effort to clinch a deal: the commission could approve the proposal subject to conditions, including restricting the schedule to matches that police could staff. Hand argued that crowds would gather outside the restaurant to watch World Cup matches regardless of whether a special event permit was issued, and that the restaurant wanted a plan in place “to make it safe for everybody.” Lago did not accept the offer.

Coral Gables Police Chief Edward Hudak backed many of the mayor’s concerns, warning commissioners that the city’s resources would be heavily taxed throughout the tournament. “This is the largest tournament in World Cup history,” Hudak said. “There are 30 days that we’re going to be taxed to the max with the police department.” He noted the strain would be particularly acute on July 4, when the city already deploys virtually all available officers for holiday festivities.

“Every police officer has to work on the Fourth of July,” Hudak said. “Any other kind of event that I can’t staff, I can’t do it.”

Hudak also warned that even without an officially sanctioned plaza activation, spontaneous crowds gathering outside the restaurant to watch matches could still become the responsibility of Coral Gables police.

The proposed plans evolved significantly over the course of negotiations. Fred Couceyro, the city’s community recreation director, explained that “Plan B” had reduced the number of tents, limited plaza activations primarily to knockout-round matches, and included commitments for extra trash pickup, cleanup crews and off-duty police officers.

Hudak also addressed complaints from Fritz & Franz supporters about the cost of required police presence, explaining that the higher fees reflect negotiated union rates applied to all events during the World Cup period due to the elevated demand on law enforcement resources across the region.

But “Plan C,” submitted shortly before the meeting, expanded the request to include high-profile USA and Germany games beginning June 11, creating fresh concerns for commissioners who said they had little time to review the revisions.

Commissioner Melissa Castro sharply criticized the delay, accusing Lago of effectively deciding against the proposal before negotiations had concluded.

“You asked for a plan right in front of me,” Castro said. “Before the plan was even over, you already had a speech with a no vote without giving him even a chance.”

Castro argued that the city should embrace the opportunity created by the World Cup instead of creating obstacles for a longstanding local business tradition.

“This is the World Cup and this is FIFA,” she said. “We should be honored.”

Residents who spoke during public comment reflected the split emotions surrounding the issue, though several defended the watch parties and criticized the city’s handling of the debate.

Alison Curran, who said she lives directly across from the Fritz and Franz plaza, told commissioners that the events had never created major problems for her or her husband despite years of attending and hearing celebrations from their apartment.

“This is the World Cup,” Curran said. “Coral Gables has this extraordinary chance to show what a welcoming and all-inclusive city it is.”

Another speaker, Enrique Lopez of Brickell, criticized what he described as an exaggerated portrayal of the gatherings.

“At multiple points during the meeting, you framed a long community event as though it was an impending public disorder crisis,” Lopez said, objecting to descriptions of “mayhem” and “unruliness.” He called Fritz and Franz “a very wholesome tradition” that has brought together multiple generations of soccer fans for decades.

Despite support from Castro and Commissioner Ariel Fernandez, the commission ultimately voted to defer the matter again until its June 2 meeting.

That leaves Fritz and Franz with barely more than a week to finalize plans, secure vendors and arrange staffing before the first requested World Cup watch party date.

Fritz and Franz goes hard on Facebook

That uncertainty appeared to spill over publicly after the meeting, when Neuweg posted a lengthy and emotional message on the restaurant’s Facebook page criticizing city leaders and lamenting what he described as the erosion of long-running community traditions tied to the restaurant.

“Coral Gables Bluesfest, 20 Years… gone! Coral Gables Oktoberfest, 32 Years … gone!” Neuweg wrote, before adding: “Now trying to kill the best World Cup, Euro and Copa America watch party in South Florida!”

Neuweg said the prolonged negotiations and uncertainty surrounding the World Cup plans were taking both a personal and financial toll after more than two decades operating the restaurant in downtown Coral Gables. “They are taking all my energy, my money and that little fun I have in this business away from me,” he wrote. “Maybe it’s time to fold.”

The restaurateur also directly criticized Lago, Vice Mayor Rhonda Anderson and Commissioner Richard Lara while rejecting what he portrayed as political pressure surrounding the negotiations. “I am not your slave. I am not your puppet. I am not going on my knees. I am not kissing your ring,” Neuweg wrote.

The owner further argued that Fritz and Franz, not city officials, helped establish Coral Gables as a destination for international soccer fans long before FIFA selected Miami-Dade County as a World Cup host region.

“You did not bring FIFA into Coral Gables,” he wrote. “It was Fritz & Franz Bierhaus.”

Giant ball on Giralda

The debate at the commission meeting unfolded after commissioners unanimously approved a separate resolution authorizing installation of the giant “Trionda” FIFA World Cup match ball sculpture on Giralda Plaza, a block away from the proposed watch parties, earlier in the meeting.

The temporary installation, gifted by FIFA and adidas through the Miami Host Committee, was presented by the city as a way to build excitement ahead of the tournament while highlighting Coral Gables’ role as headquarters for FIFA Miami operations and the Miami Host Committee. The 550-pound installation is expected to boost tourism, visitation and economic activity downtown.

Leave a Reply