A Coral Gables city commissioner is calling for an end to what he describes as harassment and intimidation targeting elected officials and their families, urging the state attorney’s office to take action.
Commissioner Ariel Fernandez raised concerns about the safety of local officials after he said a private investigator followed and recorded him while he was taking his son to school on April 1. Speaking at a press conference outside the Coral Gables Police Department April 2, Fernandez claimed he and two other commissioners – Kirk Menendez and Melissa Castro – had been subjected to repeated threats and harassment because of their votes on city matters.
“These incidents are not just political disputes. They are targeted attacks on public officials and their families,” Fernandez said. “What kind of city are we becoming where intimidation, surveillance, and threats against families are brushed aside as politics as usual?”
Pattern of harassment
Fernandez provided images that he said documented vandalism, including a slashed tire on a commissioner’s vehicle and a drone hovering over him. He said the April 1 incident involved a private investigator trailing him from his home to his son’s school and taking photos.
Coral Gables Police confirmed that the investigator, Alan Matas—a retired city police sergeant—was legally conducting surveillance as part of his licensed business. “Therefore, no further action was taken by the officers at the scene,” Police Chief Ed Hudak stated. However, the department is investigating whether this incident is connected to prior threats against city officials.
Fernandez cited several other incidents, including:
- November 17, 2023 – A photo of his vehicle and license plate was posted online, which he said violated state law.
- January 8, 2024 – Commissioner Menendez’s tires were slashed outside his home.
- February 13, 2024 – Commissioners Fernandez, Menendez, and Castro received police escorts to a city commission meeting due to a credible death threat.
- August 31, 2024 – Commissioner Castro was physically and verbally assaulted at a restaurant outside the city while dining with her 7-year-old son.
- November 16, 2024 – A drone hovered over Fernandez while he had lunch with his wife and child before flying away as he attempted to photograph it.
- December 15, 2024 – Commissioner Castro’s tires were slashed in a city parking garage.
- February 1, 2025 – Fernandez and his family were stalked and photographed by an individual using the name “Justin Rite” on social media.
- February 22, 2025 – Commissioner Castro’s car was vandalized while parked on a city street.
Fernandez alleged that at least four of these incidents had direct ties to Mayor Vince Lago, though he did not provide further evidence.
Mayor calls allegations a “political stunt”
In a published report, Lago, who is running for re-election in next week’s city election, denied any involvement, calling Fernandez’s claims “an election stunt.”
“At the end of the day, this is an election stunt. It’s shameful,” Lago said. “People have told me they have never seen the city of Coral Gables in this position—embarrassed like this.”
No charges, yet
While Fernandez praised the Coral Gables Police Department’s handling of the investigations, he expressed frustration that no charges had been filed.
“The Coral Gables Police Department has done a phenomenal job. I have faith in our chief of police and all of the officers involved. Police have done everything in their power to get these cases to the state attorney’s office,” he said. “The problem is, how do we get further? We need her (State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle’s) support.”
Fernandez said he respected the state attorney but was disappointed by what he described as inaction from her office.
“The answer we’ve gotten is that if it’s political, there’s a good chance nothing will be done about it, which is disappointing,” he said. “We need her office to act.”
Commissioners worried
The Coral Gables Police Department continues to investigate, but without charges filed, Fernandez says he and his colleagues remain concerned for their safety.
“This harassment needs to stop,” Fernandez said. “We cannot allow threats and intimidation to become the norm in our city.”
This Post Has One Comment
I find it interesting to bring all of this up right now before the election – very convenient timing.